Prostate Health Guide by My Canadian Pharmacy
My Canadian Pharmacy Overview of Prostate Diseases
Prostatitis is edema or inflammation of prostatic gland. Men of 20-50 years of age are in the risk group. Nevertheless, there are some exceptional cases when prostatitis occurs in teenagers and elderly people. The main cause of the disorder lies in penetration of pathogenic organisms into prostatic gland from urinary tract, bladder and straight intestine through blood and lymphatic vessels of pelvis. Under specific conditions, such as deflux impairment of prostatic juice and stagnation of venous blood in the gland, pathogenic microorganisms start propagating and causing inflammatory process. Development of these conditions happens due to a range of factors including hypothermia, decrease in immunity, sedentary lifestyle, irregular sexual life, constant stresses, sexually transmittable and urologic diseases. Prostatitis shows itself in different ways: discomfort while urination, pains and cutting in perineum, lumbus and inguinal region, decrease of sexual function.
When experiencing the first symptoms, a patient needs to consult a specialist called urologist-andrologist. Early diagnostics of the disease is the foundation of high efficiency of therapy. Prostatitis treatment begins from thorough examination based on which a doctor takes a decision on which medications to prescribe. Correct and timely medication will cure prostatitis completely. Nevertheless, fast recovery is impossible, since the disease is complicated and requires long-term and systematic therapeutic course.
Complex treatment of prostatitis includes:
- Antibacterial therapy;
- Immune-stimulating treatment;
- Local treatment;
- Herbal medications, etc.;
Prostate adenoma (benign prostatic hyperplasia) is benign tumor of prostatic gland which doesn’t produce metastases as opposed to cancer. This disorder is spread among men above 45 years of age when the period of recurrent growth of prostatic cells is observed. Around a half of representatives of stronger sex above 50 years appear to have increase of prostatic gland. Very often men suffering from overweight and leading a sedentary lifestyle occur in the risk group. The growth of prostatic cells is slow and practically asymptomatic. In some cases, a man discovers this disease only after occurrence of issues with urination. The main symptom of prostate adenoma is frequent, difficult and stuttering urination. This disorder occurs due to the growth of prostatic tissue which takes pressure on urethra and bladder and may lead to a number of unpleasant complications.
Thus, prostate adenoma results in urinary tract infections, kidney stone disease, impaired kidney function, impaired functioning of gastro-intestinal tract. Therefore, early diagnostics and treatment of prostate adenoma may prevent from a lot of complications.
Prostatitis and adenoma require timely therapy course. The early stages of these diseases may be treated successfully by means of medicinal products administration. If they are neglected, surgical intervention may be required. Therefore, each man taking care of his health must undergo preventive examination by urologist in order to detect and cure developing diseases. Diseases of prostatic gland are easier to evade than to cure; therefore, take preventive measures and you won’t need to look for the answers on how to treat prostatitis and prostate adenoma.
Read interesting article: How To Prevent Prostate Disease Consequences
Causes of prostatitis
- The main cause of prostatitis is impairment of blood circulation leading to growth of prostatic gland. This condition may be caused by sedentary lifestyle and overweight.
- Infection is another cause of prostatitis. Very often it may get as a result of gonorrhea or urethritis, more seldom – complications after quinsy, flue, tuberculosis.
- Prostatic gland inflammation of bacterial character starts in case of getting of infectious counteragents in prostatic gland via blood or lymph during unprotected sexual intercourse, in other words, through biological substances. Various microorganisms which are presents constantly on human skin or even in abdominal cavity organs may provoke disease development under certain conditions.
- Organs and pelvic soft tissues injuries, impairment of their blood circulation often cause prostatitis. As a rule, drivers are more exposed to this condition, since their work is connected with occupational hazards, such as constant vibrations, jolt, augmented load on perineum muscles.
- Also, frequent hypothermia and low physical activities, presence of chronic diseases or imbalance of hormonal profile, detained urination and irregular sexual life.
- Sedentary lifestyle affects the functioning of endocrine, nervous and cardio-vascular systems. Impairment of blood circulation in pelvic organs with congestive phenomena and oxygen starvation of prostate tissues are observed. These are predisposing factors to propagation of pathogenic microorganisms which in turn may be a cause of prostatitis development. All these factors are not the primary cause of inflammatory process development. They are gates for penetration of infection in prostatic gland.
- Inflammation presence in straight intestine or urinary tract is often a cause of secondary contamination of prostatic gland when microbes get in prostate from infected urine.
- Predisposing cause for prostatitis development is constipation of chronic character. Constant altered defecation pattern may lead to occurrence of prostate inflammation.
- Immune system is due in no small part to development of prostatitis. Because of obsessive habits, stresses, and physical exertion, immunity weakens and organism becomes vulnerable for infections of various kinds, such as those which cause inflammation of prostatic gland.
- Prostatitis may occur due to urological infections or some previous sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhea and urethritis. Even such chronic disorders in organism, including bronchitis, tonsillitis, uncured carious tooth may be a cause of prostatitis.
Symptoms of prostatitis
Like many other diseases, prostatitis is divided into acute and chronic. General symptomatology is characteristic for manifestation of acute type of the disease.
- A patient has overall weakness and ailment;
- Very often this condition is accompanied by high temperature and headaches;
- As a rule, perineal pain has a pronounced character, comprises perineum and enhances during urination or defecation.
- Frequent urge bringing no relief due to incomplete urinary bladder emptying leads to increased irritability and anxiety of patients. Severe cases cause acute detain of urine.
In comparison with acute type, chronic form of prostatitis has asymptomatic progression and proceeds latently. Clinical pattern is often inapparent and accompanied by a weakly pronounced symptomatology. Patients do not pay due attention to appreciable discomfort and do not consider it necessary to consult a specialist. They merely confuse prostatitis symptoms with prostate adenoma which is extremely dangerous. The treatment principles of these disorders are completely different; thus, there may be complications with adverse consequences.
Very often impairment of overall condition, potency issues and nerve disorders in men are explained by weariness, absence of rest. All in all, a man just doesn’t want to realize that he is sick and needs treatment. The important role in early detection of this disease belong to annual prophylactic examinations allowing to make a correct diagnosis at early stages. Chronic form of prostatitis shows itself with fast disappearing pains in perineum, and inguinal region. As a rule, the duration of sexual intercourse changes and generally becomes either longer or shorter. Sensations alter as well. Urinary tract starts producing discharge especially in the morning, or ill-disguised white flocculus appears in urine.
Since inflammatory process leads to the fact that lumen of urinary tract narrows, urination disorders occur. What should be noted?
- Weak urine stream
- Urination drop by drop or difficult
- Incomplete bladder emptying
- Uncontrolled urinary leak.
Inflammatory process irritates nerve endings leading to frequent urination especially at night (usually, in small portions). All these symptoms indicate development of pathological process and require consultation by a specialist. Only specialist can make a correct diagnosis and prescribe a correct therapy course. Unfortunately, these symptoms may conceal such horrible disease as prostate carcinoma.
Inflammatory process of prostatic gland in case of early treatment doesn’t lead to rough disorders in sexual sphere. Nevertheless, absence of treatment very often causes inhibition of sexual attraction and male infertility. Other complications may include various secondary infections of urinary tracts; chronic renal insufficiency may develop along with bladder stones and acute retention of urine. The disease progresses and seizes bladder; due to blood circulation impairment, urine deflux and cells sclerosing occur. These pathologic alterations are irreversible.
Causes of prostate adenoma
The causes of prostate adenoma development are arcane. The key risk factor of the disease occurrence is age: the older man, the higher risk for prostate adenoma. Young men have prostate adenoma very seldom. It is connected with age-related changes in endocrine regulation of sexual system of a man explained by hyperplasia of paraurethral glands (castrated and desexed men did not have cases of prostate adenoma). Scientifically-based connection between adenoma occurrence and sexual orientation, sexual activity, smoking, alcohol drinking, sexually transmitted and other infectious diseases, and chronic prostatitis is not confirmed.
Prostate adenoma develops due to the growth of benign tumor of glands which surround urinary tract in prostate urethra under bladder. The incidence of a disease reaches 50% in men above 50 years of age, increases for later age groups and becomes the most frequent cause of impairment of bladder functioning. Men above 70 suffer of various degrees of prostate adenoma in 75% of cases. It is considered that with the time it develops in 85% of men.
Prostate adenoma symptoms
Clinical signs and symptoms are different and depend on progression of the disorder, somatic and psychosomatic status, age, social standing, and medical knowledge of a patient.
The first signs of adenoma are weak urine stream, late initial stage of urination, frequent urge, imperative urge (usually not ending with urination), especially at night. With the course of time, these symptoms grow and a patient starts experiencing difficult urination, necessity to strain himself and engage abdominal muscles for bladder emptying. Due to decrease of detrusor tonus in bladder cavity, residual urine occurs. In case a sick person is not treated properly, difficult urination becomes constant and predominant symptom. Urine volume while urination gradually decreases from 200-250ml to 30-50ml; stream becomes discontinuous flowing sometimes drop by drop; uncontrolled involuntary urine flow through urethra occurs. Detrusor tonus decrease to an extent that the volume of residual urine reaches 1 liter and more.
Unfortunately, men consider these symptoms to be age-related and do not consult a specialist timely. Only when a man appears to have serious problems with urination and sexual function, he visits a physician. Prostate adenoma symptoms are divided into obstructive and irritative.
Irritative symptoms show themselves in the form of frequent urination, urges not ending with urination and hyperactive bladder. They are determined in accordance with degree of functional disorders of neuromuscular apparatus of bladder. Men appear to have desire to get up 1-2 times at night which was not a case earlier. Formation of these symptoms for prostate adenoma is provoked by symptoms of detrusor functioning. Presently, it is discovered that hypoxia of unstriated muscles of bladder is developed due to age-related hemodynamic and hormonal alteration in men. This leads to the so-called instability of bladder with corresponding irritative symptomatology. Thus, irritative symptoms of prostate adenoma are frequent painful urination, nocturia, imperative urge, impossibility to retain urine during urge. Irritative symptoms are less dangerous and may be decreased considerably by means of correct therapy.
Obstructive prostate adenoma symptoms include difficult beginning of urination, and thin, weak and discontinued urine stream. A patient has to strain himself to urinate and has the feeling of incomplete bladder emptying. Accompanying inflammatory process plays important role in formation of prostate adenoma symptoms and is met in 70-87% of patients. Associated chronic prostatitis is manifested with dysuria (urination disorders) and in case of prostatic gland edema – difficult urination and ED. Besides, its presence leads to the growth of early and late post-operative complications. Thus, formation of clinical pattern of prostate adenoma is accompanied by pathological processes occurring in prostatic gland and bladder which are not always connected with prostate hyperplasia. Thus, not all patients require operative removal of hyperplasic prostate.
Flomax is applied for treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). This remedy belongs to the group of alpha adrenergic blocking agents. The mode of its action lies in muscles relaxation of neck of the urinary bladder and prostatic gland leading to relief of BPH symptoms, such as frequent urination, weak urine stream, difficult beginning of urination and nocturia. This remedy should not be used for therapy of high blood pressure.
Flomax is for peroral application. A patient should administer it once a day (with or without food) or on doctor’s prescription. Take the first dosage before going to bed in order to reduce headache and syncope to minimum. After the intake of the first dose, take other capsules at the same time every day. Swallow a whole capsule without dividing or chewing it, otherwise you may experience side-effects. Inform your attending doctor in case of your problems aggravation and their preservation within four weeks.
Flomax side-effects may be as follows:
- Sleep disorders;
- Unusual weakness;
- Problems with ejaculation.
A patient is required to inform his doctor immediately in case of aggravation or occurrence of any side-effects. Most men taking this medication do not have any adverse effects after Flomax intake. But in case a patient experiences such serious effects, as blackout, vision change or arrhythmia, immediate medical attendance is required. In case of painful and long-lasting sensations within 4 hours, Flomax administration must be terminated immediately.
In order to prevent from any adverse reactions, inform your therapist of your allergy. Flomax may cause blackout; thus, it effects on the ability to drive and use machines and its administration should be refused before actions requiring maximal concentration. Flomax is not to be taken by children and women. It must not be combined with alcohol.
A patient must know of Flomax possible drug interactions. Patient’s physician must be aware of all medicinal products are used, in particular ED medications (sildenafil, vardenafil, tadalafil), other alpha-blocking agents (Prazosin, Doxazosin, etc.), drugs for hypertension, blood-thinners (warfarin), medicines affecting liver enzymes clearing Flomax (such as Azole, Cimetidine, Ketoconazole, Erythromycin, etc.).
Avodart is designed for therapy of benign prostatic hyperplasia. It falls into the group of HMG-CoA-reductase inhibitor.
The main spheres of application:
- Therapy and prevention from progression of prostate adenoma by means of decrease of prostatic gland’s size, reduction of disorder symptoms, improvement of urine deflux, decrease of acute retain of urine risk.
- In combination with tamsulosin – treatment and prevention from BPH progression by means of decrease of prostatic gland’s size, reduction of disorder symptoms, and improvement of urine deflux.
Avodart may be prescribed in the capacity of monotherapy or in combination with histamine 2 receptor antagonist, tamsulosin (0,4mg). Aged men (including elderly patients): recommended dose of Avodart is 1 capsule a day taken perorally. Capsule is swallowed in one integrated piece and not chewed, since it may irritate oral and throat mucosa. Avodart may be taken regardless of food intake. Notwithstanding the fact of decrease of symptoms manifestation after Avodart administration, the medicine must be taken within six months for unbiased estimate. The dose may be corrected in men suffering from impaired kidney function.
Avodart mode of action lies in the following:
- Its active substance, Dutasteride belongs to the group of 5 α-reductase inhibitors which blocks type 1 and 2 types of isoenzymes responsible for transformation of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. The latter is androgen which is responsible for hyperplasia of prostate tissue.
- Maximal reduction of dihydrotestosterone on the setting of Avodart intake depends on dosage and is observed the first 1-2 weeks. After 1st and 2nd weeks of Avodart administration in daily dise if 1,5mg, average dihydrotestosterone concentration decreases by 85 and 90% accordingly.
- Patients with BPH who took 0,5mg of Avodart per day experienced average decrease of dihydrotestosterone level by 94%.
- According to placebo-controlled double masked clinical trials with participation of 4326 men suffering from prostate adenoma, Avodart prevented from the disease progression.
According to clinical trials, monotherapy with Avodart could have the following adverse effects with frequency >1% in comparison with placebo:
- Libido alteration;
- Impaired ejaculation;
- Gynecomastia, including pain and hypertrophy of mammary glands.
Avodart is counter-indicative to the patients suffering from hypersensitivity to Dutasteride and other 5 α-reductase inhibitors or drug’s components. Avodart is not to be taken by women and children.
Would you like to learn more about it? Read Avodart guide: Generic Avodart (Dutasteride) at My Canadian Pharmacy
In spite of the fact that inflammation of prostatic gland is a frequently-met phenomenon, men should not get worried about the risk of application of effective therapy, since modern pharmaceutics issues high-performance medications allowing patients to get rid of the problem once and for all. Due to modern technical and pharmaceutical capacities, prostate adenoma and prostatitis treatment is not a problem anymore. Drugs for prostatitis are issued today in the variety of presentation forms and in sufficient quantity. Doctor may prescribe one of them or their combination for complex therapy course.
Most men suffering from inflammation of prostatic gland think that the best remedies for prostatitis are herbal infusions, i.e. home remedies. But the overall picture of therapeutic intervention proves that home remedies for prostatitis may be efficient only is co-administered with strong medications, which are able to stop inflammatory processes in organism.
Which remedies are recommended by specialists for prostatitis?
- Suppository for prostatitis for rectal application with anesthetic and antibacterial action;
- Fast-acting injections for prostatitis stimulating immune system;
- Instillations – special procedures allowing delivering drugs directly to problematic location;
- Prostatitis pills represented by remedies of antibacterial action.
Each of existing medications is meant for complex application including physiotherapeutic methods.