Each of us has heard about at least a dozen names of antibiotics that promised to help solve a lot of health problems. Some drugs can really help, while others make the situation worse. Today we are going to speak about Amoxicillin. It’s been around for what seems like an eternity, so now it is time to put down some of the old myths surrounding it. In this article you can find all the information you need about Amoxicillin and its pros and cons.
What do we Know about Amoxicillin?
When you buy some product, you, as a rule, try to find out about it as much as possible. If it is food, you think of its expiration date, the amount of nutritious components in it and if it is the best one out of a huge amount of others. If it is a piece of clothes, you consider the quality of materials, if it is natural or synthesized fiber, whether it suits your figure and matches your eyes or accessories. What about medicines? It is also necessary to learn about them as much as possible because it is your health and you should know everything in order to keep it and possibly improve it. Very often people take all pills which are advertised on TV, radio, in the printed press and on the Internet. As a result, people get more health problems than before. Many people feel worse after some drugs and think that they are harmful. Not everybody knows that a person can have severe allergy to some drug components that causes side effects. It is not recommended to take several drugs together at one time.
Here the main component is amoxicillin. It belongs to the group of medications that treat bacterial infection. It resembles penicillin, but is better assimilated by the human body. It is “not afraid” of acid condition in the stomach. That’s why it is completely absorbed and the result of the medication is better.
When a Doctor Can Advise to Use Amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin can be prescribed for different purposes. It is an antibiotic. It generally treats the infection that results from various types of bacteria. What are the main diseases that Amoxicillin can handle?
This list of diseases is not complete and we strongly recommend you to meet your doctor first and then take the medicine (if your doctor advised to take Amoxicillin).
Amoxicillin: Chose the Type you Like Best
There are people who do not like pills, and others hate suspensions. There is good news for both camps. There are the following types of Amoxicillin that can satisfy their demands:
- Suspension that are taken orally
- Solution also for oral taking
- Powder substance for injections
Choose the type you like and don’t feel discomfort while taking the drugs.
Who Should Avoid Amoxicillin?
Sometimes it is a real challenge to choose the drug correctly, both for practitioner and for patient (when the latter is offered several drug form options). It rings even more true when there is a serious health problems that do not allow them to take this or that medicine. Amoxicillin can do harm to individuals who have the following contraindications:
- If they are allergic to some of the Amoxicillin components or penicillin;
- If they suffer from infectious mononucleosis (it is a disease when people have high temperature, increase of palate lymph nodes and liver);
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should also be thoroughly examined by doctor who should find out whether they should take these drugs or not;
- If people suffer from allergic diathesis, bronchial asthma, liver insufficiency, kidney insufficiency, infectious mononucleosis, problems with gastrointestinal tract, especially, colitis that appeared together with drugs usage;
- Small children like elderly people should be also careful and thoroughly examined.
- If you belong to one of the above mentioned category, do not take the medicine.
Side Effects: are there any? What is Necessary to Know about Them?
Like any other drug out there, Amoxicillin has its side effects. If you take any other drugs, you should be aware of all advantages and disadvantages of them. Do not take the medicine until you thoroughly read the list of the possible side effects to your organism. You can omit some small detail that can lead to the unwished results. We have asked experts and their patients about the side effects that were noticed during the period of Amoxicillin therapy. We have enlisted them below. They are categorized according to the parts of the human organism on which they have the strongest influence.
- Nettle rash
- Skin hyperemia
- Edema of the throat
- Joints pain
- Anaphylactic shock
- Stephen Johnson Syndrome
Digestion system Side Effects:
- Problems with liver
- Taste changes
Human Nervous System Side Effects:
- Mental confusion
- Behavior changes
Other Side Effects:
- Breathing problems
- Vaginal candidiasis
- Rise of level infection
- Thrombocytopenic purpura
Your doctor is the first person who should know about side effects that you notice while taking them. Be attentive and don’t wait till you feel worse. The more time you wait, the more you risk. Sometimes even simple allergy can lead to the fatal outcome.
If you Take the Drugs Right, They will Be More Effective
Medicines like any technical equipment have their own rules of usage that should be followed. There are several rules that every person should keep to:
- If you notice some bad changes in your organism, see your doctor immediately.
- Do not take serious medicine without doctor’s recommendations.
- If your doctor tells you to take Amoxicillin, he should explain the way you should take them.
- Do not ignore doctor’s advices.
- Do not lessen or enlarge the doses! You can reduce the treatment to zero and damage your health state.
- Do not forget to inform your doctor about everything that is connected with your allergy to some food or drugs.
- Do not postpone your health problem solution! You can have grave consequences.
Now we want to give several recommendations on how to take Amoxicillin (but remember that only your doctor can say the necessary dosage):
- First your doctor should check whether you are allowed to take Amoxicillin or not;
- The average dosage for adults and children about 10 years old and weight not less than 40 kilos is 0,5 gr three times a day;
- If there are any complications, the dosage may be changed from 0,5 gr to 1 gr three times a day;
- If you are going to give it to children from 5 to 10, the dose should be 0,25 gr three times a day;
- If you have little kids whose age ranges from 2 to 5, the dose is to be 0,125 gr three times a day;
- If your children are less than 2 years old, that the dose is determined by their weight (nearly 20 mg for each kilo) and is given also three times a day;
- Suspension dissolved in the water is considered to be the most acceptable variant for children up to 10 years.
Amoxicillin can be taken before or after meals. It’s best that plan your day and choose what time you should take them every day (when people take drugs at one and the same time, the medication has better effect).
First aid in overdose event?
Sometimes people forget their dose and take more that they should or they take the drugs oftener than 3 times a day. They can overdose, which will show through the following symptoms:
- Stomach upset
- Water-electrolytic balance problems
What to do if you notice these symptoms? In this case it helps to have your prescriber’s number. Call them and tell about your problem. Sometimes the only way is to call 911. Therapy for an overdose can be as follows:
- Gastric lavage
- To take activated carbon
- To take saline purge
- Hemodialysis usage
- Taking medicines that support water-electrolytic balance
Do not try to solve this problem without doctor’s consultation for not to make the situation worse.
Now I Feel Better. Should I Stop Taking Amoxicillin?
No. You may notice that some clinical symptoms have disappeared and you feel much better. But it does not mean that you are healthy now and should stop taking the medicine. You are to use the drugs as long as your doctor has prescribed. If you don’t do so, you will spoil everything and your body will not recover completely. As a result, you may have to repeat the treatment.
Are there any special conditions for Amoxicillin Storing?
There are several recommendations for Amoxicillin storing. You should keep your pills in place far away from sources of heat, high level of dampness and direct sun rays at the room temperature. If you buy capsules, suspension or solution, you may keep them in the fridge. Do not keep the liquid for a long period there because it will be not effective.
All information was written by the research Group of My Canadian Pharmacy – MyCanadianPharmacy.Com